25 Ways To Treat Yourself in Life, No Matter What People SayPHCS
As the old saying goes – if you don’t love yourself, who else will? It’s the little pleasures that get us through the everyday grind.
Doing little things that make you happy is a good way to boost your self-esteem as well as your general mood. This in turn has a knock-on effect on your mental health.
It’s a win-win! Plus, most are free or cheap, so there’s no excuse for not showing yourself a little love from time to time!
Why wait for your next day off or holidays? Remind yourself that you deserve to lead a happy life and enjoy yourself on a regular basis with these 25 ways to treat yourself.
25 Ways To Treat Yourself in Life, No Matter What People Say
1. Give yourself the gift of 5 minutes of doing nothing. Sometimes this is enough to get a bit of breathing room and plan your next move.
2. Give yourself permission to reach out to someone else. Text or call a friend or relative who you know will support you.
3. Make a healthy snack or drink and enjoy it slowly. Take pleasure in nurturing yourself.
4. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
5. Make a plan for the weekend, thus ensuring you have something to look forward to.
6. Set a timer and tidy up your workspace for 10 minutes. This doesn’t sound like much fun, but giving yourself the gift of a clear desk is not to be underestimated!
7. Go for a brief walk outside. Natural green shades are soothing, and if the weather is sunny, this will also provide you with a mood boost.
8. Get out a notebook and pen and start journaling. Let yourself express hopes, fears, desires, and dreams. This can be very cathartic and healing.
9. Read an interesting and uplifting blog article for free inspiration within minutes!
10. Head to the library or second-hand book store for some free or cheap books. Grab anything that looks amusing, entertaining, or inspirational.
11. Buy yourself a new outfit or at least a new accessory. If you are on a tight budget, visit thrift stores or hold a clothes-swapping event with friends.
12. Do something nice for someone else. Why does this work? When we carry out random acts of kindness, we feel a warm glow inside. Everyone benefits!
13. Give yourself the gift of learning something new. Stimulate your brain by reading or hearing about a totally new topic.
14. Learn how to cook a new dish that you’ve always wanted to try. Master it and you’ll be able to have great food whenever you feel like it!
15. Have an early night, just because you feel like it. Put off the chores until tomorrow, and just get into bed with a good book or film. We all deserve that from time to time.
16. Give yourself the gift of taking your dreams seriously. Write down 5 key life goals that you want to achieve over the next year or so, and the steps needed to achieve them.
17. Take a nap. So many of us are sleep-deprived, so 20 minutes spent napping in the afternoon may just be the refreshment you need.
18. Make yourself an uplifting playlist containing all your favorite songs, and listen to it several times.
19. Buy some new bedlinen, or at least change your sheets. It will make you feel nice and relaxed at bedtime.
20. Avoid toxic influences. Do you suspect that a certain co-worker, coursemate, relative, or even ‘friend’ just depresses you or gets you down with their negative attitude? Try to spend less time with them.
21. The next time someone asks you to do something non-essential that you don’t want to do, vow to look after yourself and say ‘No.’
22. Buy your favorite flavor of ice cream on your way home from school, work and spend a couple of hours indulging in dessert and trashy TV.
23. Treat yourself to a few compliments – from yourself! Get inspired from this article: Don’t Wait for People to Praise You. Do It Yourself Every Single Day.
24. Get rid of any clothing that doesn’t fit or flatter you, and go shopping for a replacement. Take a look at this guide and learn how to declutter for a stress-free life.
25. Ask a friend for a TV show or movie recommendation. Bonus points if you can borrow it from them for free! You could even suggest a movie night, complete with drinks and popcorn.